What you need to know about Overdrafts and Overdraft Fees
An overdraft occurs when you do not have enough money in your account to cover a transaction, but we pay it anyway. This service saves you the embarrassment and inconvenience of a returned item, a returned item fee, as well as a fee normally merchants may charge you for items returned to them.
1) We automatically authorize and pay overdrafts for the following types of transactions:
- Checks and other transactions made using your checking account number
- Automatic bill payments
2) After August 15, 2010, we will not authorize and pay overdrafts for the following types of transactions unless you authorize us to:
- ATM transactions
- Everyday debit card transactions
3) Below are the overdraft fees when the credit union pays for your overdraft:
- We will charge you a fee of up to $25 each time we pay an overdraft.
- A negative balance fee of $1.00 per day each open business day that the account remains negative will be assessed (for up to 45 open business days).
- There is no limit on the total fees we can charge you for overdrawing your account.
If you want us to authorize and pay overdrafts on ATM and everyday debit card transactions, you may complete the form here, mail it to Penobscot County FCU, 205 Main Street Old Town ME 04468, or present it at any Penobscot County FCU branch.